Day 4

October 4, 2011

Mammoth Hot Springs to the Lower Falls of the Yellowstone River and back

The view out our 3rd story window

Neat shower!
We paid extra to have a bathroom at all...
The rooms were designed to share a bathroom between 2 rooms
Now, every other room has a bathroom, and the other
rooms have to go down the hall to restrooms and shower rooms

Neat old relay switch that turned on (white button)
and off (black button) the ONE light in the room
Also, the Porter Call button for calling a porter to get your luggage (disabled now)

our hallway

down the stairs

The main lobby

Very Neat Wooden Map of the United States
17' 10" X 10' 4"
2544 pieces of wood
15 different types of wood from 9 different countries
designed by Seattle, WA architect Robert C. Reamer
Assembled in the Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel Jan 2 - June 1, 1937

The Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel
Opened as it is today in 1937

The Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel Dining Hall

The Hotel and Dining Hall from across near the visitor center

Historic Fort Yellowstone

The US Army ran the park from 1886 - 1916
At its height in 1910, 324 soldiers were stationed there

The Engineer's Office
The Army Corps of Engineers Head Quarters 1903 - 1918
The Army Corps of Engineers were in Yellowstone from 1883 - 1918
building roads, bridges, hydroelectric power plant, and water system

Currently the park's Administration Building
Originally 2-troops barracks - housing 200 men
Built in 1909 by Scottish masons


Troop Barracks

The Albright Visitor Center
Originally the Bachelor Officers' Quarters
Built in 1909 by Scottish masons

William Henry Jackson was the photographer for the 1871 Hayden Geological Survey, which was
the final survey responsible for convincing congress to create Yellowstone National Park in 1872

Mammoth Hot Springs Lower Terraces

Liberty Cap
45 foot tall cone of an extinct spring
Named in 1871 by the Hayden Expedition for its
resemblance to caps worn by colonial patriots during
the Revolutionary War

Devil's Thumb and Pallet Spring (named that for its colors)

Minerva Spring

Mound Terrace

Undine Falls
Lava Creek falls 60 feet in three steps
Named in 1885 by geologist Arnold Hague
Named for wise female water spirits from German mythology

Columnar Basalt over a thick layer of glacial moraine

Calcite Springs and the Yellowstone River

Tower Falls - Tower Creek falls 132 feet
It is about 1000 yards from the creek's confluence with the Yellowstone River
It is named for the towering volcanic formations surrounding it
Unfortunately, the trail to the base of the falls was closed

Lower Falls Brink Trail

3/8 of a mile dropping 600 feet

Across the canyon:  Uncle Tom's Trail
328 steps dropping 500 feet in 1/2 mile

from the top of the falls... doesn't look like much, but it is a 308 foot drop

The Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, as seen from the brink of Lower Falls

Back up the 3/8 mile, 600 foot CLIMB!

another overlook of the falls

proof of past glaciers in the park

A nice rock couch to rest on

The view from "Artist's Point"

Sunset over the Lower Falls

Again, it was dark, so no more pictures until the next day...

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Day 5

Day 6

Click for email

Return to home page.